General Terms & Conditions of Service
FIBRE TO THE HOME BROADBAND INTERNET
Our Services are diverse and dynamic. Occasionally our terms or product specifications may
change. Greencom endeavours to notify you of any material changes, and our latest terms
will always be available at http://greencom.co.za/terms-and-conditions.html together with
the effective date of those terms. We oblige you to check our site regularly. Any use
by you of our Services after the effective date of our latest terms, will be deemed to
constitute acceptance by you of such terms.
Each Service Order accepted in accordance with this Agreement forms an individual agreement
that incorporates these General and Service Terms and establishes the terms
and conditions under which we will provide those Services to you.
Please Note: Our terms and conditions have been updated, effective as of 1 October
2017. Should you be a pre-existing customer, please review the updated terms and
conditions as they will become binding on you from 1 November 2017. Should you have
any queries please e-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org
1. Definitions and Interpretation
In the Agreement the following words and phrases will have the corresponding meaning,
unless the context otherwise requires:
Agreement: as between you and Greencom, these General & Service Terms read together
with any terms as stated in the Application and any Service Order.
• Authority and Mandate: the authorisation you give to Greencom to debit your account
monthly, on the selected date, which does not constitute the granting of credit or
amount to a credit agreement;
• Application: the online application form accessed on the Greencom Portal where you
fill-in the required information to order your Product; which, when accepted by
Greencom, becomes a binding Service Order.
• Billing Start Date: The Billing Start Date for a Service will be from when the fibre
provider hands over fibre services and your Service Equipment has been dispatched or
delivered to you.
• Business Day: every day excluding Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays in RSA.
• Charges: the following charges and any other charges or fees payable by you to
Greencom in respect of a Service, as set out or referred to in a Service Order and revised
from time to time.
o Call Charges: the charges for packet switched telecommunications services;
o Once-Off Charges include but are not limited to installation, connection and/or start-up
charges and are non-recurring charges for the setup of a Service (including installation of any Service Equipment);
o Monthly Fee: monthly recurring charges for a Service.
• Contended: multiple users sharing the same network capacity. Contention ratios are
based on the individual design of the fibre access network over which the
Greencom service is delivered.
• Customer Data: technical data (for example the date, time and duration of voice or data
transmissions) that is necessary for the establishment, billing or maintenance of the transmission.
• Regulated Customer Data is that Customer Data of which the use, processing or transfer
is regulated by law or regulation as personal data.
• Customer Site or Site: a physical location at which a Service is provided.
• Domicile: the physical address you provide in terms of a proof of address, alternatively
per your application form or Authority and Mandate, where you will receive any legal notice.
• Effective Date: in relation to a Service, the date upon which Greencom accepts your
correctly completed Application, together with any required documentation, which
upon acceptance becomes a Service Order and you receive an e-mail to this effect.
• Emergency Works: works that are necessary at the time to put an end to, or prevent,
the arising of imminent or existing circumstances likely to cause:
o danger to persons or property;
o the interruption of any service provided by the Network or the network generated by a third party;
o substantial loss to Greencom or any third party; and such other works in those
circumstances necessary to execute Emergency Works.
• Force Majeure Event: any cause beyond a Party’s reasonable control affecting the
performance of its obligations, including, but not limited to, fire, flood, explosion,
accident, war, acts of terrorism, power outages, strike, industrial disputes, embargo,
governmental requirement, civil or military authority, Act of God, changes to laws
or regulations, inability to secure materials or services, and acts or omissions of
other providers of telecommunications services.
• Greencom Portal: at http://www.greencom.co.za/greenzone/clientarea.php, where you
check the availability of the Provider service in your particular location before
ordering any Product.
• Network: the points of presence, network hubs and host computers owned, operated or
used by Greencom in connection with the provision of a Service.
• Party: Greencom or you (per the context), and Parties means both you and Greencom.
• Product: any product offered by Greencom for Services, whether standalone or bundled with a value add-on product;
• Provider: Greencom’s partner last-mile fibre provider either operating in your area or
who you select in your Application. All hardware provided by any Provider will
remain the property of the Provider into perpetuity.
• Service: the specific service(s) provided by Greencom to you and as may be further
described in the relevant Service Order.
• Service Order: an Application and your order for a specific Service to be provided to you
• Service Equipment: the hardware, software, systems, cabling and facilities provided by
Greencom at your Site in order to make the Service available to you. Greencom
remains the owner of Service Equipment. Service Equipment does not include the
Network or any hardware or software that is the subject of a separate supply
contract between you and the Provider.
• Uncapped meaning as set out in the ISPA guideline on broadband terminology published
• Unshaped: Greencom does not prioritise or differentiate between different classes of traffic or protocols.
• you / your refers to you, the end-uer, whose details are as supplied to us in your Service Order.
• Interpretation: Unless the context otherwise requires, a reference to:
o Singular may refer to plural, and vice versa, as the case may be;
o A person includes a reference to a natural or juristic person, as the case may be,
including a reference to that person’s legal representatives, successors and permitted assigns;
• A document is a reference to that document as supplemented or varied from time to time.
• To the extent that goods or services provided in terms of the Agreement are governed
by the Consumer Protection Act, then the provision of same is qualified to comply therewith.
2. Service Activation
• Once you have submitted your Service Order to Greencom, Greencom may carry out
any appropriate credit checks on you, to which you hereby consent. Once
Greencom is satisfied with your credit record and accepts your Service Order, it
becomes binding on you.
• Any fibre line order by completing our application form and then cancelled after
acceptance by Greencom will be invoiced to you.
3. Registering on the Greencom Portal
• Go to the Greencom Portal and register by entering your personal details, then search
for coverage in your area. Should fibre coverage be available, you may then
complete an Application for Service by entering your details and selecting the Provider
and your selected Product. You will be advised after our receipt of an Application
if Service/s can be provided;
• The Greencom Portal will generate a Service Order clearly defining all once-off fees and
recurring monthly charges, as applicable.
• When you complete the Authority and Mandate, you accept the terms of the Service Order.
• By law, you are required to upload your proof of residence as well as a copy of your ID.
• The Application will go to Greencom’s service team, who will review your completed
Application. Once accepted by Greencom, the Agreement is complete and you will
thereafter receive an e-mail containing your copy of the Service Order and
Authority and Mandate.
• Greencom’s service team will inform you of the progress of your Service Order.
4. Service Terms
• Unless specified, Greencom will provide you with uncapped, unshaped access to the
Network via a fibre circuit (“Access Circuit”) and the Service Equipment at a
Greencom Point of Presence (“PoP“).
• Access Circuit: Greencom supplies, configures and tests the Access Circuit. Any facilities
and extra cabling necessary within the Site are not included in the provision of the Service.
• Greencom provides Internet access by transmitting and delivering IP packets between
your computer/s connected on the Network and other networks in accordance
with its standard business arrangements with Providers of such other networks.
• Throughput Rates and IP Access
o Access to, and across, the Greencom IP Network is at the maximum throughput
rates set forth in the Service Order. Maximum throughput rates are not guaranteed.
o Due to the nature of the Internet, Greencom can only control IP throughput rates
from the user network interface of the Service Equipment to the point of
interconnection between the Network and the Internet.
o IP throughput rates may also be reduced by Greencom in accordance with its
Acceptable Use Policy, a copy of which can be provided to you on request or found
• IP Addresses: Greencom will dynamically assign 1*/29 public IP addresses from
Greencom allocated blocks obtained from AfriNIC. Any IP address allocated by
Greencom to you remains the property of Greencom and you will have a non-
transferable licence to use such addresses for a limited time. The dynamic IP will
change on a 24hr basis.
• Monitoring: Greencom monitors the health of the Internet connection by collecting
SNMP data at the user network interface on the Service Equipment.
• Reporting Service: Greencom may provide usage information in the Greencom Portal.
The content of any usage information will only be visible to authorised users or
authorised Greencom employees.
• Resale of Service: Resale of the Service is not permitted without the prior written
consent of Greencom
• Accuracy of Your Information: You will provide Greencom with accurate and up to date information:
o when completing the Application; and
o when you contact Greencom to report a suspected fault and are asked a standard
set of structured questions. Greencom will not be liable for any loss suffered as
a result of your failure to provide accurate information or any relevant
facilities, which may lead to a delay in installation or Service repair.
• Maintenance: Scheduled maintenance on the Greencom Network will be performed
during a standard maintenance window during change control windows from
00:00 – 04:00 (UTC +2), as necessary. Greencom reserves the right to perform
emergency maintenance without prior notice, but will nonetheless endeavour to
provide such notice as is reasonably possible in the circumstances.
• Security: You acknowledge that the logical and physical security measures in relation to
the Services are your sole responsibility and Greencom will not be held liable for
any losses arising out of security breaches of the Services.
• Disclaimer: Greencom will in no event be liable for lost or interrupted data, messages,
packets, or other information transmitted to or from third party networks.
5. Service Equipment
• The Service Equipment will be provisioned with a standard configuration in respect of
the ordered Service.
• In the event of failure of the Service Equipment, Greencom will repair or replace (at its
discretion) the Service Equipment where such failure is covered by the warranty of
the original equipment manufacturer. Where the Service Equipment is replaced,
you must return the original Service Equipment to Greencom.
• You accept liability for any costs incurred by Greencom as a result of repair or
replacement of Service Equipment where the Service Equipment failure was caused by
your use, misuse or changes to the Service Equipment, other than as previously
agreed to in writing by Greencom.
6. Greencom Obligations
• In performing its obligations under the Agreement, Greencom will at all times exercise
the reasonable skill and care of a competent provider of internet-related services.
• Greencom will use reasonable endeavours to ensure that each Service will conform to its service terms.
• With respect to the provision of a Service or otherwise, except as expressly set out in
the Agreement, all warranties, representations or undertakings, are excluded.
7. Charges and Payment terms
• You will pay the Charges to Greencom in accordance with this clause.
• Call Charges to:
o South African numbers shall be determined with regards to the relevant call
termination rates as applicable from time to time; and
o International numbers shall be determined in accordance with the rates and billing
methodologies as charged by the upstream international termination partners from time to time.
• Charges will accrue from the Billing Start Date and will be invoiced by Greencom for:
o Call Charges;
o Once-Off Charges;
o Rental Charges and/or Monthly Fees monthly in advance. Service(s) provided for
part of a month will be charged on a pro-rata basis.
• Subject to a notice period of 5 Business Days, Greencom reserves the right to impose a
credit limit on any of its customers as it sees fit.
• Any invoice for Charges will be due on issue of the invoice and must be paid by way of a
debit order against the account details provided by you in the Authority and Mandate.
• The initial debit order will be for any Once-Off Charges, pro-rata of your first month plus
one Monthly Fee in advance.
• In the event that a debit order is not honoured, interest shall accrue on any overdue
invoice from the due date until payment at a rate of 2% per month..
• Where a debit order is returned for whatever reason, you will be charged a R50 penalty.
Should the outstanding amount remain unpaid after 7 days from the date of debit
order, then Greencom may suspend your Services.
• Greencom may immediately suspend the supply of Services to you if you commit any act of insolvency.
• If Services are suspended in accordance with this clause, the full outstanding balance
becomes due and payable immediately.
• If overdue amounts are paid in full, Services may be re-activated.
• If you wish to dispute any invoice or part of an invoice falling due you must deliver a
notice in writing to email@example.com setting out the nature of the
o date and number of disputed invoice;
o amount in dispute;
o reason for dispute; and
o supporting documentation, as appropriate.
• Fibre lines that have been suspended for non-payment will be cancelled with the
Provider after 30 days, and you shall be notified thereof beforehand. Any reactivation
after this 30-day period is at a fee of R999.
• In the event of any non-payment in excess of 30 days, in addition to negatively listing
your details with any credit bureau, Greencom may submit such overdue amount
for collection. Any and all costs incurred as such will be for your account.
8. Your Obligations
• You will provide Greencom with such facilities and information as Greencom may
reasonably require enabling it to perform its obligations or exercise its rights under the Agreement.
• You warrant and undertake that you will:
o use the Service Equipment only for the purpose of receiving the Service;
o not move, modify, relocate or in any way interfere with the Service Equipment;
o insure and keep insured all Service Equipment installed at the Customer Site against theft and damage;
o not create or allow any charges, liens, pledges or other encumbrances to be created over the Service Equipment;
o upon termination of a Service, return all Service Equipment belonging to Greencom in terms of the Agreement to Greencom.
o You may not use the Services for any illegal or immoral purpose and you will abide
by the current version of the Greencom Acceptable Use Policy, available at
9. Service Suspension
• At its sole discretion and without prejudice to any right which it might have to terminate
a Service and/or this Agreement, Greencom may elect to immediately suspend the
provision of a Service (or part thereof) if it:
o has reasonable grounds to consider it is entitled to terminate the Service and/or this
Agreement for reasons set out in clause 11;
o is obliged to comply with an order, instruction or request of a court, government
agency, emergency service or other administrative or regulatory authority;
o needs to carry out Emergency Works to the Network or Service Equipment;
o has reasonable grounds to consider that the Service is being used fraudulently or
illegally or in violation of its Acceptable and/or Fair Use Policies;
• If Greencom exercises its right to suspend the Service (or part thereof) pursuant to
Clauses 1 or 10 it will, whenever reasonably practicable, give prior notice of such
suspension to you, setting out the reasons for the suspension and the expected
duration. Greencom will use all reasonable endeavours to resume the Service as soon as
is practically possible.
• If the Service (or part thereof) is suspended as a consequence of your breach, fault, act
or omission, you shall pay to Greencom all reasonable costs and expenses incurred
by the implementation of such suspension and/or recommencement of the
provision of the Service.
• Greencom will not be liable for any loss, damage or inconvenience suffered by you as a
result of any suspension made pursuant to clause 1, except to the extent that such
suspension is made pursuant to clause 10.1.3 and for reasons which are solely and
directly attributable to the negligence of Greencom and then only to the maximum
amount of Charges that would otherwise have been charged for the duration of
10. Term and Termination
• These General and Terms take effect in respect of each Service, from the Effective Date
of each Service Order.
• To downgrade any Service package (changing your existing package to a lower-cost
package), you must provide notice to this effect on or before the 20th of the month to
be effective from the 1st day of the following month, otherwise you will be
charged the existing package.
• Either Party may terminate the Agreement (or the relevant Service Order):
o on at least 1 calendar month’s notice in writing, meaning that termination will be
effective on the last day of the month, after the month you give notice, if you
give notice later than the 1st of the month;
o immediately by notice if the other Party has committed a material breach which is
incapable of remedy;
o immediately by notice if the other Party has committed a material breach capable of
remedy, but which it fails to remedy within 5 Business Days of having been
notified of such breach; or
o immediately by notice if, in relation to that Service, a Force Majeure Event subsists
for a continuous period exceeding 2 months.
• Greencom may terminate the Agreement (or a specific Service Order) immediately by
notice if the Service provided for home/personal use and it is being utilised for
other or business purposes.
• Certain Services, are solely for personal use and usage for any other purpose would
place you in material breach of the Agreement, and Greencom reserves its right to
immediately cancel the Agreement, suspend Services and have recourse to remedies for
• If Greencom has reasonable grounds to believe that there has been a violation of its
Acceptable and/or Fair Use Policies, Greencom may notify you and require you to
remedy the violation; in the event of an incident involving a violation of public law
or regulation or an imminent threat to the Network, immediately; or in all other
cases, within 48 hours. If you fail to notify Greencom that such a remedy has been
effected in accordance with this clause or if Greencom reasonably determines that
the violation is continuing or is likely to occur again, Greencom may terminate this
Agreement (or relevant Service) immediately upon notice to you.
• Greencom may terminate the Agreement (or the relevant Service Order) without notice
if you fail to make any payment within 30 days of the amount becoming due.
• Upon termination of the Agreement any accrued Charges not yet invoiced will become
due and payable immediately on receipt of an invoice.
• You agree that our entire liability, and your exclusive remedy, with respect to any
Service(s) provided under the Agreement is solely limited to the amount paid for such
• Greencom and our contractors will not be liable for any direct, indirect, incidental,
special or consequential damages resulting from the use or inability to use any of the
Services or for the cost of procurement of substitute services.
• Greencom is unable to exercise editorial or other control over any content placed on or
accessible through your use of the Services and Greencom will have no liability as
to the quality, content or accuracy of information received through or as a result of
the use of the Services.
12. Force Majeure
Notwithstanding anything herein to the contrary, neither Party shall be liable to the other
for any delay, failure in performance of any part of this Agreement (other than for
payment obligations as set out herein) or damages suffered to the extent that such
delay or failure is attributable to a Force Majeure Event.
13. Intellectual Property
You acknowledge that any and all patents, registered and unregistered designs, copyrights,
trademarks and all other intellectual property rights whatsoever and wherever
enforceable, which are used in connection with the Service and/or Service Equipment, will
remain the sole property of Greencom, its contractors or suppliers.
14. Customer Data and Privacy
• You acknowledge that Greencom and our respective subcontractors will, by virtue of the
provision of Services, come into possession of Customer Data.
• Greencom has implemented and maintains appropriate technical and organisational
measures to protect Customer Data against accidental or unlawful destruction or
accidental loss, alteration, unauthorised disclosure or access and against other
unlawful forms of processing.
• Greencom and its respective subcontractors may use or process Customer Data:
o in connection with the provision of Services;
o to incorporate Customer Data into databases controlled by Greencom for the
purpose of administration, provisioning, billing and reconciliation, verification of
Customer identity and solvency, maintenance, support and product
development, fraud detection and prevention, sales, revenue and customer analysis
and reporting, market and customer-use analysis, and
o to communicate to you by voice, letter, fax or email regarding products and services
• You may withdraw consent for the use, processing or transfer of Customer Data as set
out above by sending a written notice to Greencom to such effect, unless it is
o provision, manage account and bill for the Services;
o carry out fraud detection; or
o comply with any statutory obligation, regulatory requirement or court or other
public authority order.
• You are responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of your password(s). In the event
of a breach of security through your account, you will be liable for any
unauthorised use of the Services, including any resultant damages resulting, until you
• The responsibility of all passwords and other related sensitive information is assumed by
you, should any additional fee’s arise from resource consumption due to poor
credentials (such as, but not limited to blank passwords or “test” accounts) no fault shall
be levied on Greencom.
• No Waiver: Failure or delay by either Party to exercise or enforce any right or benefit
conferred by the Agreement shall not be deemed to be a waiver of any such right
or benefit nor operate so as to bar the exercise or enforcement thereof or of any
other right or benefit on any later occasion.
• Entire Agreement: The Agreement (being these General Terms and all terms under
active Service Order Forms) sets out the entire agreement between Greencom and you,
superseding all prior or contemporaneous representations, agreements or
understandings concerning the subject matter addressed herein.
• Survival: Termination of this Agreement shall not affect a clause that necessarily or by
its context requires survival of these General Terms.
17 Transfer of rights and obligations
• You must not do any of the following at any time without Greencom’s
permission and Greencom will not unreasonably withhold such permission:
o transfer / cede any of your rights under the Agreement to any other entity
or person; or
o transfer / delegate or hand-over any of your obligations or responsibilities
under the Agreement to any other entity or person.
• To the extent that this is allowed by law, you agree that Greencom can at
any time do any of the following without your permission:
o transfer any rights under the Agreement, to any one or more persons or
o transfer / delegate or hand-over any obligations or responsibilities under
the Agreement to any one or more persons or entities.